Monday, June 22, 2009

Koi Harmony


Felt inspired to throw some large puddles of paint down, so I cleared off the Dining room table and covered it with plastic and brought my painting stuff out there.
I tore a full sheet in half and mixed up some Perm Rose, Hansa Yellow and Phthalo Blue. I then used some plastic food wrap to throw in there. I started by placing the yellow on top, then the blue on the bottom, then the red in the middle. I let it move and liked it so I then placed the wrap down, I was thinking I was going to do a Angel or something fluid looking and ended up with with this fish shape.
I pouring some color under the wrap and squished it down and started looking at the rest of the painting. This type of painting is fairly quick since you are just throwing down color and placing the wrap or other materials down on it and then you have to wait for it to dry, usually a overnight or you can speed up the process and blow dry. I choose to let it dry overnight.
One thing I learned from previous pouring like this is to lay paper towels around the edges to pick up the excess paint, then it wont creep back into the painting and create blossoms.
Anyway, as I was looking at it I thought it would be cool to throw in the yin/yang symbol and so I broke out my sponge and removed paint in that shape. I also used the sponge to make the swirly movements in the water. I really like using the sponge in this way!
I added some Quin Gold and Payne Grey to darken some area's, I'm still tweaking it, and I haven't took it to the mirror yet, so there still work to be done.
It was really fun doing it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this - the colors and the way the fish just seems to emerge from the background. Your process reminds me a lot of my silk painting, where I drop color on and wait for it to react.

    ReplyDelete