Thursday, July 23, 2009
Yippee! for Yupo
This was my first attempt and experiment with Yupo paper and I have to say I'm Hooked!
My good friend Watercolor Wendy had did early experimentation with Yupo and it turned out really super, so I mentioned that I wanted to try it and she invited me over to try it out.
I was really lucky because before I even put paint to paper, Wendy gave me the run down on the paper and alot of good tips.
1. Since the material is like plastic, it doesn't absorb, it just sits on top. It felt alot like acrylics, where you pushed the paint around. If you use a juicy wash, it will move and move everywhere even where there isn't any water (unlike watercolor paper) So careful when picking up your paper if there is alot wet paint on it.
2. Thicker washes stuck better and you can get really darks fast, to get lights, i was easy to just lightly lift. Any mistakes are easy to correct, just wipe up, or soften with water and lift.
3. Dry time was pretty fast and faster with a hairdryer.
4. You can mix on the paper and it makes amazing swirls and textures. Also brush strokes are seen which gives it cool look.
5. Second washes need to be lightly applied or you will lift the bottom layer, so go dark first.
6. If planning to try it out, choose a simple shape to get the feel of it and have more success.
I'm sure there's more to be discovered, which is why I ordered a bunch of Yupo and cant wait for it to arrive.